Where and how can green standards be implemented?
Every person leaves his mark on the world on his travels. But unfortunately, it does not always remain only with a footprint in the sand. Sustainability, or Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), is currently a top priority: the demand for an ecologically, economically and socially responsible lifestyle is becoming louder and louder. Sustainable business models are intended to make more efficient use of natural resources and avoid environmentally or health-damaging actions. In the packaging industry, sustainability is also gaining increasing importance.
Businesses have recognized that they can target new customers with sustainable management concepts. They can no longer rely on their stars alone. Society is changing and becoming increasingly sensitive. More and more people are interested in sustainability issues and are willing to pay a higher price for quality and sustainability.
A clear conscience plays an increased role for holidaymakers on their travels, for example, concerning working conditions and consideration for the local population. This “green” interest is also reflected in an increased demand for sustainable packaging options, shipping, and mailing. The range of these products now extends more from compostable mailers to packaging boxes. In addition, the packaging industry also rewards green initiatives, for example, by awarding environmentally friendly measures with stars on rating portals.
- Savings in electricity costs: motion detectors, dimmers, LEDs as well as solar-powered lighting and induction instead of gas/E stoves
- Saving of water by using rainwater, energy-saving rinses and multiple uses of towels
- Saving energy through heat-insulating windows, doors and curtains or air conditioning coupled to the doors and windows that automatically switches off when they are opened
- Avoidance of waste: no use of disposable packaging and disposable goods as well as the supply of smaller portion sizes in the catering trade
- Use of recycling materials in-room furnishings and fittings
- Abandonment of the minibar and gas heating mushrooms
- Preferred purchase of domestic products from local and regional suppliers
- Provision of bicycles for guests
- In terms of sustainability, restaurants should pay attention to the following, among other things:
- Abandonment of “convenience food.”
- Reduction of meat consumption, creative offers for vegetarians and vegans
- Range of suitable dishes for allergy sufferers and food intolerances
- Species-appropriate animal husbandry, Fairtrade products as well as regional and seasonal food
- Sustainable consumables, from detergents to paper towels
- Reduction of food waste
In addition, non-profit institutions can be supported in the area of “social affairs”, and the topic of accessibility can be written in capital letters. Stickers and signs are helpful means to remind customers of their “green” deeds. Through responsible and transparent marketing, businesses can talk about his commitment and dedication to sustainable packaging. In addition to the positive environmental impact, entrepreneurs also save energy and costs. Green is not always expensive! This also applies to prices.